Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Now that's a hashtag

As you may have heard, we're holding a benefit concert Friday night in Wichita. Andy McGinnis, our public relations professional extraordinare, came up with a hashtag to promote it that just perfectly sums up what we've trying to do.
#HugTheHateAway
This is a play on words of "pray the gay away," a mindset that's pretty popular here in the Bible Belt. Does praying the gay away work? I can't say for sure, because I've never tried it. But I have serious doubts. As I've maintained for years, if you tell someone to surpress thier gay feelings, marry the opposite sex and start a family, one of you is in for some serious disappointment and heartache. Maybe both of you. Maybe even a whole bunch of you.
Besides, why would I want to change someone if I feel like that's how God made them?

So #HugTheHateAway is about acceptance, and we're certainly not trying to imply that Christians as a whole are hateful. I'm a Christian myself. (I think I may have mentioned that a time or two.)
And I plan on doing a lot of hugging Friday night. Come on out, and you can see the other fun promotions Andy came up with (including virtual hugs). It's going to be such a fun night.

No comments:

Post a Comment