Monday, October 26, 2015

Is this movie biased?

A couple days after the trailer for "Out Here In Kansas" debuted, a conservative Christian friend of mine sent me a lengthy text message expressing his concerns about my motives for making it.
He also reminded me that when I told him my plans for making it, that I was going to make it non-biased.
I don't remember putting it like that, exactly. But I have earned a pretty good reputation as a non-biased journalist the last 20 years or so. My motives are ...
1. To tell Burt Humburg's story.
2. To tell his former pastor's view of the story.
3. To tell how the story affected my life, since I've known both men since the late 1990s.
4. For the movie to be viewed by millions - including gay people, Christians, people who might be both or people who might be neither. The church's and state's relationship with the LGBT community is such a hot-button in Kansas.
As I've said all along, I'm been a Christian my whole life, and I strongly believe God is telling me to make this film. I don't know if it's going to look biased; I'm just going to make the best movie I possibly can. And who could argue with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment