Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Behind the scenes with Coach Lew

These quips from Monty Lewis, who was Burt Humburg's football coach in college, will not make the final cut of Out Here in Kansas. Nonetheless, Kenny and I got a laugh out of these during our last editing session.

"There's a myth that offensive lineman are dumb, and they're only gonna get dumber."
"Burt was quick and fast. Me, I was quick but I wasn't fast. Hell, I couldn't run out of sight in a day."
"He wasn't mean. He just wanted to do his job to the best of his ability. Burt would say, 'I'm to hook him and drive him back - how far do you want me to drive him back?' And we finally got to the point where we'd say, 'Well Burt, we want you to drive him back six and a half !#&@ yards. And make sure you get that half in there.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment